"A Prophet" Tops 2009 Sight & Sound Poll
Tahar Rahim as Malik in A PROPHET. Photo taken by Roger Apajou © 2008, courtesy of Sony Pictures Classics.
The British Sight & Sound film poll, more known for its annual 10 year survey of the greatest films of all time, released its list of the 10 best films of 2009 today. They are:
1. A Prophet – Jacques Audiard
2. The Hurt Locker – Kathryn Bigelow
- 35 Shots of Rum – Claire Denis
4. The White Ribbon – Michael Haneke
5. Let the Right One In – Tomas Alfredson
6. Up – Pete Docter
- White Material – Claire Denis
8. Bright Star – Jane Campion
- Antichrist – Lars von Trier
10. Inglourious Basterds – Quentin Tarantino
I liked A Prophet, but I would be hard pressed to call it one of the best of the year. Let the Right One In is a 2008 film Stateside, of course, but it deserves its position here. I'm also glad to see some love for Antichrist, 35 Shots of Rum, and The White Ribbon, three of my favorite films of the year.
Source: In Contention